As a double board certified plastic surgeon whose finely honed surgical skills are matched by his eye for aesthetics, Dr. Erik J. Miles is able to customize procedures to meet the unique needs and goals of each individual patient. This is true whether a patient desires a subtle refinement through a single minor plastic surgery procedure or a more dramatic transformation with a comprehensive, multi-faceted treatment plan. The mommy makeover plan at his Charlotte, NC plastic surgery practice is an example of the latter more broad based approach to a patient’s cosmetic surgery wishes, and one that requires the ability to innovate and personalize treatments with exceptional precision.
If you have had one or more children and you would like to regain your pre-pregnancy figure, we invite you to learn more about the mommy makeover during a confidential consultation with Dr. Miles at North Charlotte Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery. He will take the time to listen to your goals, advise you honestly and openly of your options, and provide you with all of the information you need to make the most confident choices possible about how to proceed.
To schedule your mommy makeover consultation, please contact our Charlotte plastic surgery practice today.
What is a mommy makeover?
A mommy makeover isn’t a specific procedure, per se, but rather a customized treatment plan comprising multiple procedures designed to rejuvenate the figure of a woman who has given birth. The goal of the mommy makeover is to restore the mother’s figure to its pre-pregnancy state or, if desired, to re-contour the body to new proportions altogether.
Who is a good candidate for a mommy makeover?
The best candidates for mommy makeovers include mothers who have decided not to have any further children are done with nursing. While undergoing a mommy makeover will certainly not preclude a patient from having another child, she should understand that further pregnancy can potentially undo at least some of the results achieved through plastic surgery.
Suitable mommy makeover candidates will also:
- Be in good enough overall health to undergo surgical procedures.
- Be willing to lead healthy post-surgical lifestyles in order to maintain their results, as poor lifestyle habits – smoking, drinking to excess, an unhealthy diet, and a failure to exercise – can compromise the longevity of the results.
- Be willing to diligently follow all post-surgical instructions provided by Dr. Miles to ensure proper healing and the best possible results.
- Have realistic expectations of their results, which Dr. Miles will help to establish during the initial consultations.
Which procedures comprise a mommy makeover?
Just as there are no two mothers who are quite alike, there are no two mommy makeover plans that are quite alike. Dr. Miles carefully evaluates each patient before recommending a treatment plan to make sure that all of her needs are being properly addressed. He takes into account, among other factors:
- Her aesthetic goals for treatment
- Her concerns regarding the appearance of her body after pregnancy
- The parts of her body she liked best before pregnancy
- Changes she would like to make to her body in general, regardless of pregnancy
- Her body type and lifestyle
- Her medical history
Any combination of procedures can be included in a mommy makeover, and these procedures can further be customized to the unique needs of the patient. However, the following procedures are among those most typically performed as part of a mommy makeover at North Charlotte Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery:
- Breast Lift: Pregnancy and breastfeeding are two of the factors that can have the greatest impact on breast ptosis, or sagging of the breasts. The fluctuations in the volume of the breasts during pregnancy can exhaust the natural elasticity of the breast skin, leading to drooping. Breast lift restores the breasts to a more youthful position on the chest, while raising the nipples so that they project outward rather than downward.
- Breast Augmentation: Performed as an isolated procedure or in conjunction with breast lift, breast augmentation enhances the size and shape of the breasts through the insertion of breast implants. For mothers who have lost breast volume through nursing, breast lift plus breast augmentation may provide an ideal solution.
- Breast Reduction: Conversely, some mothers gain additional volume in the breasts that they can never get rid of, even with weight loss. For these mothers, breast reduction can restore harmony and proportion to their figures while relieving them of any physical discomfort they may be experiencing in the back, shoulders, or neck. A breast reduction also lifts the breasts.
- Liposuction: Many mothers find that isolated deposits of fatty tissues linger in certain areas of the body even after they lose most of their pregnancy weight. These conspicuous lumps, which often occur in the abdominal region and flanks, or on the thighs or buttocks, are often stubbornly resistant to diet and exercise. Liposuction safely and effectively targets these fatty deposits, gently and permanently removing the fat cells via suction while leaving surrounding healthy tissues unscathed.
- Tummy Tuck (Abdominoplasty): For mothers whose abdomens never quite flattened out after pregnancy, tummy tuck provides a potentially ideal solution. Tummy tuck entails the removal of excess skin and fat from and the simultaneous tightening of the underlying muscles in the abdominal region. Miles customizes tummy tuck surgery to meet the exact needs of each patient. Therefore, he can restrict tummy tuck surgery to a very small area for patients who require minor surgery or broaden the scope of the procedure to address the entire abdomen extending to the flanks and around to the back if necessary.
Schedule Your Mommy Makeover Consultation
If you are interested in learning more about the mommy makeover plan available at North Charlotte Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery, we encourage you to schedule your initial consultation with double board certified plastic surgeon Erik J. Miles today.